Saturday, July 14, 2012

Feelin' Seedy...

...Or "A good bun is hard to find."

I've expressed my disdain in the past for brioche burger buns, mostly because people get thrown off about the quality of a burger if it's wedged between two shiny pieces of bread. But the fact of the matter is: a burger's bun can really make or break the burger sometimes.

For example, this burger from Farmer's Cabinet:
Looks totally great right? The bun felt really soft and tasted buttery - which overwhelmed the taste of the burger, so it was kind of disappointing. (I felt like I was getting the Paula Deen special.) Plus, even though it was flavored like butter, it was definitely not as smooth as butter. The bun's buttery softness actually made it a little dry and crumbly, and the burger wasn't juicy enough to even it out. Even with the amount of ketchup I tried putting on it, I felt like it was hard to swallow at times.

Example #2: One Mile House's Bowery Burger
Photo credit: Bridges, Burgers & Beer
The bun was just your basic, supermarket-style hamburger bun. Plus, the burger-to-bun ratio was totally off here. Bet you can guess what happened when I picked it up to eat it. It promptly began to fall apart in my hands - especially after adding ketchup and burger juices flowing. A bad boy burger like this needs some backup. You can't just throw it on a whimpy potato roll! (Especially since it's loaded down with all those toppings.)

But the Parliament Burger at Pub & Kitchen gets it right:
Good burger-to-bun ratio, gets everything nestled under there nicely, plus the adorable pickles on top. It was a sturdy bun, it looked good and it tasted delicious. It didn't add or take anything away from the burger itself; it was the perfect compliment. (And did I mention how cute it looks!?)

However, sometimes great buns happen to not-so-great burgers:
Photo credit: Bridges, Burgers & Beer
Oh yeah, I want you inside me.

Here's that trick I was telling you about: Using a sexy looking bun to reel  you in and trick you, while secretly disguising a less than stellar patty underneath.
Photo credit: Bridges, Burgers & Beer
It's like the morning after the bar and you wake up next to someone realizing you had total beer goggles on the night before. Look how small that burger is compared to the bun! Not to say the burger itself wasn't tasty. But I was eating a lot of bread most of the time when I was wishing I was biting into a delicious, juicy patty. (Industry Burger - The Industry, Philadelphia)

Let's recap: A good bun should be - firm yet soft, stand up to anything you pile on top of it, be willing to take in anything that's thrown it's way, never overwhelm, look cute, taste delicious and go down easy. (FYI, these are the same things I look for in a relationship.Hey-o!)

No comments:

Post a Comment