Saturday, June 16, 2012

If this Shack's a rockin'

If you're unfamiliar with Shake Shack, it's a rapidly growing chain of fast-casual burger joints with origins beginning in NYC's Madison Square Park, where there was literally just a shack that served burgers, shakes and fries. It has since amassed 6 NY locations (Including the Mets' own Citi Field), South Beach/Miami, 2 locations in the DC area, Westport, CT and even overseas in Dubai and Kuwait!  

Most recently, Philadelphia got it's very first on the corner of 20th and Sansom, leading to long lines of eager Philadelphians looking to get their very first taste of a Shackburger. (The comparable option up until this point had been Squareburger in Franklin Square, which you'll recall I was not happy with upon my visit.) Seating was limited when I went, but they are supposed to be opening up outdoor, cafe style seating soon!




I myself braved the line on a Saturday afternoon after their opening, a line which surprisingly moved pretty quickly. Of course, once you've ordered, you still have to actually wait for your food, and so each patron is given a little buzzer device that vibrates and flashes to let them know to come on up to the Shack! 


I saved you guys the trouble of going and ate all the things!


Normally, I wouldn't be such a glutton, but on Saturdays, the special custard of the day "Coffee & Donuts" contains donuts from Federal Donuts - so I basically had to do it, right? 



"MMMMM - Donut." - Homer Simpson

Another Philly exclusive for Shake Shack is the Smoke Shack Burger, the first burger at any of the Shake Shack locations to ever be topped with applewood bacon! (Also comes topped with cherry pepper relish and shack sauce.) I thought the peppers gave it a nice little kick & the bacon was delicious!
Peppers playing Peek-a-Boo!

But this wasn't my only Shake Shack visit in recent weeks; I'd also stopped at the Westport, CT location on my way home. It's HUGE compared to the Philly location! (But I guess that's one of the benefits of being in the middle of Suburban CT) 
  Plus this awesome sign out front gives it the ol' road side burger joint feel.

I just stuck with the basics. I don't recall the shack sauce being quite as ZINGY! on my first visit to the UES location, and not even so much present on the Smoke Shack burger, but BOY OH BOY! My allergies had been stuffing me up all week and this really cleared me up! They must've put extra horseradish or something because it was a doozy! 

Oh yeah, you can totally see all that sauce!





Now if Philly can just get a few better pizza & bagel joints, a more extensive subway system, a baseball team with a higher payroll and a Uniqlo, I might never wanna move! 

( Just Kidding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment